Jomablue Smart Badge layouts (i.e. the positioning, size, and style of all text elements on your Smart Badge) are configured via the Portal. To access the Smart Badge Layout configurator, navigate to Event Configuration > Settings and click on the Smart Badge Layout tab. Click on the New Layout button to start configuring your new Badge Layout, and you'll be presented with this screen and will need to fill the fields out:
- Name - the name of this Smart Badge Layout. Give the Layout a meaningful name to ensure it is easy to locate in the cases where you may have many Badge layouts in a single Event
- Layout Type - this chooses the orientation of the Smart Badge Layout - options are Horizontal and Vertical. Selecting the Vertical option will change the preview on the right to a Vertical orientation
- Category - this option allows you to apply this Layout to all People in your Event, or to restrict the Layout to a specific Category. Selecting the "Apply Layout to specific category" option will reveal a drop-down menu where you can select the desired Category to apply the Layout too
Priority - this option is specific to Layouts that correspond to a specific Category. As People can belong to more than one Category, this field allows you to prioritise the Layouts so people belonging to multiple Categories receive a Badge with the correct Layout.
The Badge Layout selected for a Person is determined by selecting the Layout with the lowest Priority value that matches a Category that person belongs to. So for example, if a person is a VIP and a Speaker, the priority for the VIP layout is 3 and the priority for the Speaker layout is 2, then when their Badge is printed, the Speaker layout will be selected.
After completing these fields, click Save to save the Layout, then you can proceed to editing the Layout itself.
Copying a Smart Badge Layout
When creating a new Smart Badge Layout, you have the option to copy an existing Layout from another Event. To do this, click on the New Layout button and then use the drop-down menu to select a Smart Badge Layout from another Event.
Note: in order to copy a Smart Badge Layout that contains Custom Fields, the current Event must contain Custom Fields with matching keys. If they don't exist, a warning will appear with a link to the Custom Fields section of the Event, where you will be able to create Custom Fields with matching keys (or simply use the Custom Field copying functionality to copy the Custom Field directly).
The Smart Badge Layout Editor
To edit the Layout, click on the Edit Layout button and you'll see this screen:
On the left you can see the preview area - you'll be able to see the elements that you have positioned. On the right are several panels which do the following:
- Sample text - this allows you to enter sample text to appear in the field that you have currently selected
- Elements - this is where you add, select, and remove text elements to the Layout - click the plus (+) sign next to an element to add it to your Layout. To select an element, click on the name of the element in this list to bring it into focus. To remove an element, select it, then click the red cross icon that appears to remove the element
Dimensions - with an element selected, this panel allows you to view and edit the Width, Height, X Position, and Y position of the element. The X and Y positions refer to the top-left corner of the field you are positioning (so a field with X and Y both set to 0 will be in the top-left corner of the Layout)
Note: these dimensions are the dimensions of the bounding box of the element, and the text printed on the badge may not fill this entire area
- Font - with an element selected, this panel allows you to view and edit the font size, style, family, case, and overflow method for that element - these options will be covered in the next section of this article. This section also contains a check-box to enable inverted printing for the selected element - see below for more information
- Alignment - with an element selected, this panel allows you to adjust the alignment of the text within the element itself - horizontally it can be aligned with the left, middle, or right, and vertically with the top, middle, and bottom of the element
Smart Badge Font Options
Each field has independently customisable font options so you can tailor your Smart Badges to look exactly the way you want. The fields and explanations are:
- Size - The size of the font. Note that depending on the overflow option selected, fields may be printed at a smaller size than indicated here (in order to fit the text inside the bounding box)
- Style - allows you to choose between Regular and Bold font
- Family - the font family. The built-in fonts available are Corbel, Open Sans, and Helvetica (Corbel being the font selected by default). The [Custom] option allows you to enter a font family in manually - note that custom fonts require additional setup, consult your Jomablue Project Manager for your options
- Case - the case of the font. The available options are Default (which will not adjust the case in the field being printed), Sentence Case (which capitalises the first letter of the badge), and Upper Case (which capitalises the first letter in every word)
- Overflow - the method used when the text being printed in this field does not otherwise fit. The two methods are Resize and Wrap; Resize will shrink the text down to fit inside the box (while maintaining a single line of text), and Wrap will wrap text around to new lines, but maintain the size of the text. Note that this method will eventually cause the text to overflow over the top and bottom of the field.
- Invert - when enabled, this option will cause the selected element to print in inverted style. This means that on a white badge, the text itself will be white, with a black background.
An example of the two methods can be seen below, with Resize on the left (note the red ! indicating the text has been resized), and Wrap on the right (note that the text does overflow from the box):
Updated for Jomablue 3.31.2 onwards